Following any injury, victims can quickly get sidetracked from pursuing their civil claim. Between taking time to heal, repairing a damaged car, home, or other property, and ensuring family and dependents are not at a disadvantage, it is easy to get overwhelmed.
Let’s discuss how four of the most common mistakes can harm, delay or even forfeit your case. We will also detail three steps you should take to protect your rights and maximize your chances of a successful personal injury claim in North Georgia.
Four Injury Mistakes to Avoid In North Georgia
- Delaying Medical Treatment: Prompt medical treatment is vital for your well-being and strengthening your personal injury case in North Georgia. Don't make the mistake of “shaking it off,” “toughing it out” or avoiding medical attention after an injury. By seeking immediate medical care, you create a clear link between the accident and your injuries, making it harder for the defense to argue against your claim's validity.
- Failing to Document the Incident: Proper documentation is key to building a strong personal injury case in North Georgia. To strengthen your claim, report the incident to the relevant authorities and document crucial details. Take photographs of the accident scene, gather witness statements, and keep copies of important documents like police reports and medical records. Thorough documentation helps establish liability and showcases the extent of your injuries.
- Accepting an Early Settlement Offer: Do not accept the first settlement offer from insurance companies in North Georgia without proper evaluation. This is the oldest trick insurance companies use because even if the amount seems substantial, you might not yet know the full scope of your injuries or the cost of treatment and therapy. Initial offers often undervalue your claim and fail to consider future medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages. Engaging an experienced personal injury attorney who understands local laws and can accurately assess the value of your claim helps negotiate for a fair settlement.
- Posting on Social Media: Social media can impact your personal injury case in North Georgia. Refrain from discussing your accident or injuries on social media platforms until your claim is resolved. Even without mentioning the claim, posting or appearing in photos that contradict the severity of your injury will undermine your entire case. For example, if you are injured in a car accident, don’t post videos of yourself mountain climbing or joyriding. Others have destroyed their claims that way. Defense attorneys and insurance adjusters can find these posts quickly – even if they have “limited audiences” – and may exploit them to discredit your injuries.
By avoiding these common mistakes in your personal injury claim in North Georgia, you can protect your rights and increase your chances of fair compensation. And now, let’s focus on what you should do.
Three Steps To Take Following An Injury In North Georgia
- Follow Doctor's Orders: You’re nothing without your health and if you avoided Mistake #1, then you must follow through. Abide by your doctor's orders – it is crucial for your recovery and strengthening your personal injury claim in North Georgia. If you fail to comply with the doctor’s recommendations, the defense may argue that your injuries would have been less severe or that you contributed to your own damages. Furthermore, maintain records of medical visits, and follow prescribed treatments to bolster your claim.
- Hire an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney: Navigating the complexities of Personal Injury claims in Georgia without legal representation can be a costly mistake. An experienced personal injury attorney understands the laws and regulations, knows how to negotiate with insurance companies, and can build a strong case on your behalf. The North Georgia injury lawyer will fight for you and ensure you receive fair compensation for your injuries, pain, suffering, and other damages.
- Give a Recorded Statement Only with Legal Counsel: With a North Georgia Injury Attorney by your side, you can feel confident giving a recorded statement. Consulting a skilled North Georgia personal injury attorney ensures that your rights are protected. Insurance adjusters may try to exploit your statement, so having an attorney present helps navigate the complexities and ensures that you provide accurate and well-informed responses.
Rely on a knowledgeable personal injury attorney who can guide you through the process, ensure adherence to local laws and maximize your claim's potential.
Your Personal Injury Attorney in North Georgia
If you or a loved one were injured in any circumstance, from a car accident or fall to a burn or dog bite, experienced attorneys at Pritchard Injury Firm can help. Contact us online for compassionate legal guidance that will help you get the compensation you need to recover and move forward.